2017-2018 Season Call
Interested in joining the BNT team as a director? We are currently accepting submissions from directors for our 2017-2018 season! We would love to hear of any shows you may be interested in directing, or if you are interested in being considered for previously lined-up producitons. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Please keep in mind that above all else, each production is a learning experience and staff role is considered a teaching position. We will have a variety of students interested in production team roles acting as apprentices frequently, which will help to lighten the general workload. Anyone not comfortable or interested in working with kids or teens or parent volunteers need not apply.
Director: The ideal director would work with the Artistic Director to create an overall vision and plan of execution for each show. Delegates tasks to the production team, oversees and conduct rehearsals from auditions to closing, works with Production Coordinator to help parent committees achieve goals assisting the production. Directors have the option of putting their own production team in place (subject to approval and background checks) or working within the pool of BNT team members. Pay negotiable on a show-by-show basis.
Assistant Director: Assistant Directors may target a specific area of the performance, like choreography, musical direction, or be a general help in teaching and refining portions of the script. This position is ideal for a teacher who may have scheduling conflicts and cannot attend all rehearsals. Reports to the Director and Production Coordinator and may also serve over a committee of parents or a student apprentice. Can also serve as a Production Team Member. Pay negotiable on a show-by-show or hourly basis.
Production Team Member: Production Team Members will serve as the Chair of each parent production committee. The Chair will have the job of relating the director’s vision for the show and guiding the parents to achieve these goals in a timely manner. Reports directly to the Director and Production Coordinator.
Production Team Sub-Committees
- Stage Manager: Works with Director and Production Coordinator to create a task list for tech rehearsals and performances, assign crew roles, check children in and out of performances and rehearsals and generally assist the Director to make sure tech rehearsals and performances run smoothly. Stage Manager is not required to attend early rehearsals but may need to meet with other committee heads to plan performance needs. In charge of Tech Load In and Load Out and oversees the storage of items after the production ends.
- Costumer: Works with Director and Production Coordinator to create a costume plan for the show, develop the budget and create a task list for parents including but not limited to purchasing, renting, construction and modification, managing receipts for budget control, costume fittings, organizing dressing room space, washing and repairing costumes after the show and preparation for storing. Knowledge of moderate sewing skills required.
- Hair and Makeup Design: Works with the Director and Costumer to create the overall look of each character. Will be responsible for creating and documenting each look and teaching the cast or parent volunteers to replicate it for performances. In charge of creating make up and wig purchase and rental lists, confirming that each character has any applicable hair tools or makeup needs brought from home or provided by BNT and may personally apply special effect make up. Will need to teach a basic stage makeup workshop for new students and parents each production.
- Wardrobe Mistress: Works directly with Costumer and Stage Manager to facilitate quick changes during the show, organize dressing rooms, assist with documenting the complete character look and getting characters stage-ready for the performances, manages any repairs or replacements during the tech week and show rehearsal. Makes sure each child has costume needs including proper undergarments, cover-up, shoes and basic makeup supplies. Assists in the preparation of costumes for storage.
- Props: Works with Director and Production Coordinator to create a prop list for the show, develop the budget and create a task list for parents including but not limited to purchasing, renting, construction and modification, managing receipts for budget control, organizing prop table ans scene list, cleaning after the show and preparation for storing.
- Set Construction: A cooperative effort with the Set Design team. Works with the Director and Production Coordinator to create a scene-by-scene breakdown of major set pieces including but not limited to furniture, flats, platforms, stairs and ramps, and backdrops. Heads the parent Set Construction Day to assemble major set pieces and ensures that sets are safe for kids to use appropriately and work within the performance space. Creates the scene change list and assigns tasks to appropriate backstage crew. Oversees purchasing or rental of supplies, managing receipts for budget control, and dismantles set after the show for storage. A working knowledge of basic power tools required.
- Set Design: A cooperative effort with the Set Construction team. Works with the Director and Production Coordinator to create a breakdown of all the needed settings for the production. Heads the Set Construction Day to oversee the painting of flats or backdrops, assembly of minor set pieces and arrange the associated set, backdrops and props to create the scene. Oversees purchasing or rental of supplies, managing receipts for budget control, and dismantles set after the show for storage. Moderate painting skills required.
- Technical Director: Works with the Director and Production Coordinator to create the lighting, sound and special effects needed for a production. Prepares an equipment list for rental or purchase, trains lighting and sound apprentices to run production equipment and oversees each performance as needed. Basic knowledge of lighting and sound equipment required.
- Box Office Manager: Reports to the Production Coordinator and show accountant. Oversees ticket sale details, including but not limited to voucher fulfillment, seating charts if applicable, managing sold ticket and Will Call lists, promote ticket sales via social media, manage the Free Ticket program, assign complimentary tickets as needed to cast, crew and supporters. Reports sale progress biweekly to Production Coordinator. In charge of the cast ticket sale drive, including but not limited to accepting ticket requests and reconciling ticket money, tracking sales for ticket contest, assigning prizes and notifying parents of progress. Will also oversee concessions and box office volunteers and coordinate front of house volunteers. Working knowledge of online ticketing software (training provided), Excel and basic bookkeeping and data management skills required. Primarily done outside of rehearsal.